Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) classes are for parents and their children aged birth to 5 years old (before kindergarten). Classes help strengthen family relationships and provide information and resources to parents in their journey to help their children grow and develop to their maximum potential. We strive to build a strong foundation for families by forming a partnership between home and school.
ECFE classes are offered at two Early Learning Centers mornings, afternoons, and evenings. ECFE is a public school program staffed by licensed educators. ECFE classes have a sliding fee scale for all parents and children. No one is denied participation for inability to pay.
You and your child spend time together enjoying activities designed to enhance their learning. You will leave with new ideas for things to do together at home.
Meet with other parents and a licensed parent educator to discuss topics such as development, temperament, discipline and getting ready for school. The parent time takes place in a separate room or in a designated area of the children’s classroom for non-separating classes.
While you and other parents participate in parent time, children learn through play in the classroom with a licensed early childhood teacher and a paraprofessional. Children will enjoy music, art, stories, large and small motor activities as they interact with other children.
It’s good for children.
Your child will:
- Experience a safe place to learn and get ready for preschool, kindergarten, and beyond
- Have an opportunity to socialize with other children and develop relationships with new adults
- Participate in activities and challenges that contribute to healthy social, emotional, and physical development
It benefits parents and children.
Together you will:
- Learn skills and routines that can easily be adapted for use at home
- Have special and meaningful time focused on each other
- Experience a successful transition into kindergarten
It’s helpful for parents.
- Make connections with other parents in your community, gain support from one another and benefit from the understanding that “I am not the only one going through this” in an environment where parents can be candid and honest about parenting challenges
- Learn how they can better help their children now and in the future
- Understand the school system and how the educational system works here. It prepares parents to be involved in their child’s education beginning in the early years, which helps children do better in school.
You may register online with a credit card. You will create an account when you register online.
Mail or Walk-in
Mail or bring your enrollment form with a check, money order, or credit card payment to ISD 622. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Gladstone Education Center
1945 Manton St.
Maplewood, MN 55119